Thursday, June 29, 2017

Carpool Book Club {June 2017}


Happy Thursday!  June has come and gone so quickly.  It's already time for Carpool Book Club with Narci!  What are you reading?

I'm still on a mission to continue to deep clean, declutter and organize our home.  One thing that motivates me to keep going is listening to audiobooks on the topic and Unstuffed by Ruth Soukup did not disappoint.  This book doesn't just talk about decluttering our homes, but all areas of our lives, including our schedules and relationships.  The author offers practical tips that are easy to implement.  It's an ongoing process, but getting rid of unnecessary and unwanted items as well as clearing my schedule so I'm not running from thing to thing is so freeing!  Becoming "unstuffed" helps you focus on who and what is most important in your life.


I'm participating in a summer book club hosted by Jamie Ivey from The Happy Hour podcast.  The Turquoise Table by Kristin Schell was the June book.  First of all, this book is gorgeous.  It was a super easy read and very inspirational for creating a simple space for relationships to grow in your community.  Romans 12:13 instructs us to practice hospitality and this verse is central to the heart behind the turquoise table.  The book talks about being "front yard people" and I love that idea.  Basically the author put a picnic table she painted turquoise in her front yard in hopes of cultivating relationships with those in her neighborhood as well as for a place to unplug and be present with her family.  I finished the book wanting a turquoise table of my own!  We've been looking for a house lately and I've been picturing where I'd put my turquoise table in the front yard. 😊  There are also several recipes throughout the book which is a bonus!  I'm especially excited to make the simple sautéed apples.  Jamie did a Facebook live video of the book club at her home with Kristen, the author, so that was fun to watch.  Jamie also turned it into a podcast, so you can check out The Happy Hour with Jamie Ivey podcast #147 if you want to hear more.

1 comment:

  1. The Turquoise Table is top of my list when I clear out my current reading pile. I listen to the podcast and remember hearing about this book. And from the author's original podcast with Jamie. I'm sure that FB live feed was so fun to watch. I really need to do better with my hospitality and reaching my neighbors. Certainly feel convicted on that one. I'm glad to read a review that this was a good one! Stopping by from Carpool Book Club :)

    ReplyDelete